Welcome to the “University for our babies”, was the invitation offered by the Chair of the Te Kōhao Board of Directors, Mariameno Kapa Kingi.
Te Kōhao Kōhungahunga, our bi-lingual Early Learning Centre at 60 Tennyson Rd, Enderley was opened on 12 February 2015 by Kiingi Tuheitia, who aptly named the building Ngā Rau Atawhai after his mokopuna and our Patron.
Te Kōhao Kōhungahunga is for whanau living in the Insoll and Enderley communities. Lead by Tere Gilbert, this bilingual Kaupapa Maori centre aims to:
- Increase Te Reo speaking tamariki/ mokopuna
- Build on the values of tuakana teina (tamariki teaching each other ‘buddy’ fashion)
- Ngahere/Forest learning environment, Tāne Mahuta, Papa-tū-ā-nuku and Rangi
- Role modelling good habits and behaviours
- Building whanaungatanga (positive relationships, responsibility and community). Everything encourages self-learning, experimentation and is a catalyst in developing enquiring minds.